SUNDAY AFTER EASTER, SUNDAY 12th MAY 2019
You are all most welcome to worship together in the mighty name of our precious Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
Our topic today is “Believing without seeing is a Blessing.”
What does it mean to believe? First and foremost, to believe is to place one’s trust in God’s truth. It also comes from the Greek word “Pistis” which means confidence of trust. Faith is well defined in Hebrew 11 as the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Heb. 11:1).
Secondly, how should we believe in God/ have faith?
- Let us believe that God is ever present (Omnipresent), All powerful (Omnipotent), all knowing (Omniscient), etc.
- We must believe that the Bible is true and that we must trust in the word of God.
- We must know that God forgives sin and forgets and that He does not lie and He is today, yesterday and forever (He is eternal) Heb. 13:8.
Thirdly, we are called upon to believe all the time- eternally.
How do we know that someone is believing or trusting in God?
If someone stops doubting about God’s existence, powers and knowledge.
Without Faith or believing in God, it is impossible to please God (Heb. 11:6)
What lessons can we learn from Thomas (John20:24-31)
- Thomas was a man of vision and courage (people think he is the doubting type!)
- He was an intellectual, honest man and very practical, pragmatic disciple.
- He demanded for more evidence (Saying – “unless I see and touch…”)
- He met the resurrected Lord Jesus.
- He broke down and yielded saying; “… my Lord and my God” (John 20:28)
“Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed” (John 20:29b).
What must we believe in order to be blessed?
- The good news (Mark 1:15)
- God the father and Jesus Christ- (John 14:1)
“And whatever we ask, we receive of him because we keep his commandments and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.. And this is his commandment that we should believe on the names of his son Jesus Christ…” (1John 3:22, 23).
Why believe in Jesus?
There is no other name under heaven through which salvation is found except Jesus’s name (Acts 4:12)
It is only through the name of Jesus that repentance and forgiveness shall be preached. (Luke 24:46, 48).
- We must believe without seeing.
- Whoever believes in Jesus Christ without seeing will be blessed with eternal life.
- God’s love is for all and requires universal response but salvation is personal, anyone who shall believe and receive Jesus Christ, they shall be called children of God (John 1:12)
- Believe and trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding (Prov.3: 5, 6).
Blessings in Jesus’s name.
Rev. Canon F. A. Udongo
QUESTIONS FOR HOMECELL AND PERSONAL REFLECTION
Read Psalm 146, John 20:24-31, 1John 4:9-5:1, Luke 24:46-48, Acts 4:12
- Briefly share your experience of belief in God.