1st SUNDAY OF EPIPHANY, SUNDAY OF 13th JANUARY 2019
It is our pleasure to welcome each of you to this service. Thank you very much for choosing to worship with us at St. Luke’s Chapel today. May the Lord meet you at your points of need.
Our topic is “Raising up children (Parenting)”
What comes to mind when we talk about Parenting or raising up Children?
The following roles of a father and mother in raising or bringing up children may be considered;
- Parents must love their children (Gal. 6:1-4). The relationship at home where the children are being raised must be seasoned with love and respect.
- Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he/she should go and when he is old he will not depart from it”. This means also teaching the children what is right and good. (Malachi 2:15).
- Parents need to work for and with the children. This will enable them to learn that work is good and they will grow to cherish work and will never shy away from work!
- Pray for and with the family. Prayer must be central in the life of the children. Every household needs a family altar where prayer is made daily. Children learn prayer through being involved in the family prayer time.
- There is need to exercise discipline wherever it is necessary as Children grow, there are some things which they may do that will need correction or adjustment. A rebuke, or some canes or spankings may not be bad. “Spare the rod, spoil the child” such is a common saying! make use of the stick wherever it is necessary. When punishing the wrong a child has committed, do so in soberness not in anger.
- Parents must set good examples to their children because they learn best by imitation. This means that the father and mother would need to be present and not absent in the lives of their children as much as possible. Avoid being “absentee” Parents for your children.
- Children need the protection of their parents, so parents protect your children from all kinds of harm; Socially, Materially, Spiritually, Physically, Economically etc.
- It is the parents who are supposed to provide for the children whatever they need; be it food shelter, clothing’s, Education, security etc. In fact everything. And eventually give an inheritance for their children and children’s children.
- Parents must bless their children. To bless means to speak and do positive things to the children. Some parents are fond of saying evil and negative things to their children that should not be the case.
- The best things any parents can do for their children as they bring them up would be to make them know Jesus Christ as their Lord and saviour. (Mathew 1:21)
- Parents must follow the example of Mary and Joseph in raising Jesus Christ (Luke 2:48-52, Matthew 2:19-23)
Blessing to everyone in the mighty name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
Udongo A.F. (Rev. Canon)
QUESTIONS FOR PERSONAL REFLECTION AND HOME CELL.
Read: Proverbs. 22:1-6, Ephesians 6:1-4, Luke 2:48-52, Matthew 2:19-23
- What lessons can today’s parent learn from Joseph and Mary as parents of Jesus?
- How can modern day parenting be made better?
- Share your parenting experiences What Challenges and opportunities are there?