8TH SUNDAY AFTER TRINITY, SUNDAY 11th AUGUST 2019
You are most welcome to this service in the mighty name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
Today we shall focus on God the Holy Spirit and specifically “The works of the Holy Spirit” (John 16:4-15). The Holy Spirit is the Third person of the Trinity; He is the Lord the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father, and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, and spoke through the Prophets…” (Nicene Creed).
According to the scriptures, the works of the Holy Spirit include but not limited to the following;
- He is the comforter to the believers in Christ Jesus. (John 14:26).
- He teaches believers all truth about God. (John 14:26)
- He helps believers to pray (Romans 8:26)
- He enables believers to produce fruit of righteous living (Galatians 5:21,22)
- He gives gifts to the believers in order for them to serve God effectively and efficiently (1Cori. 12 and 14, Romans 12).
- He sanctifies the believers (Romans 8:13,15,16; 1Peter 1:2)
- He gives us the Spiritual birth/ regeneration. (Spirit of being born again) see John 3:5-8.
- He is the spirit of truth (2Tim. 1:7).
- He is the Spirit of conviction concerning sin, righteousness and judgement (John 16:8-11)
- He is the Spirit of love for God and for human beings (2Tim 1:7).
- He is the advocate for believers in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:26)
- He gives power/courage/confidence to the believer (Acts 1:8’ 1Cor. 22:7-11; 2Tim 1:7).
- He is the Spirit of Wisdom/ self-control/ discipline/ sound mind, (2Tim. 1:7; James 1:5, 6:3:13-18).
- He comes to glorify Jesus Christ through the believers.
In Conclusion, the Holy Spirit as God mainly brings to fulfilment and completion the work that has been planned by God the Father and continued by the son. We cannot do without Him. Every one of us must be filled with the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:25,26).
Blessings in Christ Jesus Amen
UDONGO ALBERT FESTUS (REV. CANON)
Questions for Home cell Bible study & personal Reflection.
Read: John 14:15-end; John16:4-15, 1Cori. 12 and 14; Gala. 5; Psalm 106:1-10 and 2Tim 1:7.
- The works of the flesh are opposed to the works of the Holy Spirit. Discuss
- How can a Christian overcome the desires of the flesh?
- Share a testimony concerning a Holy Spirit filled life.