1ST SUNDAY OF LENT, SUNDAY OF 10th MARCH 2019
You are all welcome in the precious Name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
A special welcome to all our guests of today.
According to the church calendar, Lent season is the 40 days which comes before the Easter time. During lent, the followers of Jesus Christ are expected to commit themselves to a humble life of prayer and fasting like our Lord and Saviour Jesus himself did in the wilderness for forty days. (Luke 4:1, 2) This season ends at the eve of Good Friday.
- Characteristics of True Fasting – Isaiah 58
- Prayer; Christ’s followers must spend time in prayer of Adoration, confession, supplication and thanksgiving.
- Repentance: All God’s people need to seek God’s face for forgiveness which only comes through genuine forsaking of all sins.
- Abstinence from food and drink for a period of time. Believers need to put aside eating and drinking for a while in order to concentrate on prayer and Spiritual growth.
- Working for Justice in the community; God is counting on His children in the community to champion the cause for justice for all people without any discrimination. We must challenge all forms of Injustice.
- Carrying out charitable acts to alleviate the suffering of the poor, the orphans, the widows and the needy. Ensure that the disadvantaged are provided for, that their cries are not ignored!
- Preaching the good news of the Kingdom of God and calling people to salvation, healing and deliverance through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. (Luke 4:18f)
- Overcoming temptations. (Luke 4:3-13) Our Lord Jesus Christ was tempted by Satan but He Overcame by the word of God. We too need to stand firm on God’s word.
The lent season seeks to prepare us believers for the salvation through the Calvary cross which our Saviour brought upon us. There can be no Salvation without the lent season! Lent is an essential part of the salvation plan of our God.
UDONGO ALBERT FESTUS (Rev. Canon)
QUESTIONS FOR HOME CELL AND PERSONAL REFLECTION.
Read; Psalm 51, Isaiah 58, Luke 4:1-12
- What is fasting?
- Why do most people find it hard to fast today?
- How can Christians encourage themselves to pray and fast? Discuss the benefits of prayer & fasting.
- What lessons can we learn from Jesus in dealing with temptations?