LAST SUNDAY OF EPIPHANY SUNDAY OF 3RD MARCH 2019
You are all most welcome once again to worship with us in this service and thank you very much for choosing to come to St. Luke’s chapel Mulago.
Today, we focus on the Roles of the Christians in Promoting Church Growth.
God has established three major instructions on this earth: the Family, Government and the Church.
According to Matthew 16:18, Jesus said “And I say to you that you are Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against”.
It is the church which has been commissioned by God to carry out his purposes in reaching the lost and perfecting the saved.
Therefore God’s plan for a Christian will always be fulfilled best when connected with the church.
What is a Church?
The church is not a building, Acts 14:27, 1Corint 6:19. The word of God clearly shows us that we are the church that God talks about not the buildings. And certainly everyone who places their trust in Jesus Christ are saved.
We become part of the body of Christ… but that body does not function outside of the local congregation.
Paul compares the church body to the human body in his passage 1Corinth 12:14-27.
- Each member has a different function in verse 14-20
- No member can function alone in verse 21
- Each members contribution is important in verse 22-24
- A properly functioning body operates as a single unit in verse 25-27.
As Christians, we have many roles to play which contribute to the growth of the church.
In Acts 2:41-47 some of these roles are clearly stipulated;
- The teaching of the word of God in verse 42
- Fellowship with other believers verse 47
- Prayer verse 42.
- The observance of the two ordinances of the church ie baptism and Holy Communion.
- To be a testimony of God’s grace and power verse 43.
- For mutual assistance and ministry verse 44-45
- To reach out into the community verse 46-47
- To glorify and praise God verse 47.
The single most important priority of the church is to edify (build up, teach, strengthen) the saints Ephesians 4:11-16.
Since we are children of God as written in John 1:12, all these are possible if only we have;
- Love, Hebrew 13:1-3, Romans 12:9-10
- Watchful Ezek. 33;1-11
- Helping one another 1Thess. 5:11, Gal. 6:2, 1Corith 13:4-7
May the Almighty help us to do what is expected of us as Christians
MR. ASABA GERALD
HEAD OF LAITY
QUESTION FOR REFLECTION.
- If God moves me to another location how do I find the particular local church that God wants me to serve through?