3rd Sunday before Lent. SUNDAY 9th FEBRUARY 2020.
TOPIC: “PRAYER AND FASTING: The Essential Christian Discipline”
Prayer is a joint venture between God and the redeemed child of God. When you humble yourself, God raises you and we pray so that his kingdom comes. His kingdom does not just come because of our deeds but we need to ask for it and whenever it comes it brings power.
Prayer is an invisible cable through which God’s power flows. God is a power generator and it is very well known that power flows from region of high potential God to low potential (us) who are needed consumers. (Isaiah 40:28-31)
Prayer brings grace, peace (Psalms 16:11), Mercy (He 4:16), Strength (Psalms 84:7), Joy facilitator
Prayer is a spiritual dialogue with God, road to righteousness, partnership of the redeemed child of God.
WHY DO WE PRAY?
- Prayer is an antidote to anxiety (Phil 4:6-7)
- Prayer deepens our relationship with God
- We pray because God cares for us (1 Peter 5:7)
He wants us to involve him in every aspect of our lives.
LET’S LOOK AT THE LORD’S PRAYER.
- Our father in heaven: We need to always acknowledge first and foremost who we are talking to.
- Hallowed be your name: We must see him as being holy, consecrated, sanctified, honour and glory.
- Your kingdom come: We acknowledge his coming kingdom.
- Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven: We need to be praying for his will to be done in our lives.
- Give us today our daily bread: We should ask our father each day to provide for our needs.
- Forgive us our debts (transgressions) also have forgiven our debtors (transgressors): This speaks to forgiveness.
- Lead us not into temptation: We need to ask our heavenly father to help us recognise every evil thing before us
- But deliver us from evil one: Help us father to steer clear of that liar and deceiver.
- For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever: We emphasize more praise and glory.
FORMS/TYPES OF PRAYER.
- Prayer of faith: James 5:15
- Prayer of agreement (Corporate prayer) Acts 1:14, Acts 2:42
- Prayer of request (Supplication) 🙁 Phil 4:6)
- Prayer of thanksgiving: Read Psalms we see David giving thanks in prayer.
- Prayer of worship: While they were worshipping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said (Acts 13:2-3)
- The prayer of consecration: Matt 26:39
- Prayer of intercession: We are told to make intercession for everyone 1 Tim 2:1.
- Spiritual warfare
- Praying in the spirit.
SIX WAYS TO TAKE YOUR PRAYER LIFE TO THE NEXT LEVEL.
- Get rid of barriers: 2 Corr 3:5. First confess your sins and do not be a stranger to (1John 1:8-9)
- Search the scriptures: Pray through and declare in the word of God.
- Be transparent: Speak the reality to God Tell him your weakness and ask for strength.
- Draw closer: Close friends discuss specific goals and therefore when we need draw closer.
- Choose to walk with God.
- Desire God first. (1 Corr 6:17).
HOME CELLS QUESTIONS
- What should we pray about, praise, thanks, petition, worship, requests, intercession for others?
- What conditions must we meet for our prayers to be heard and answered?
ISAIH SSENGOZI PHILEMON- Team leader Prayer and Intercession.