4TH SUNDAY OF EPIPHANY, SUNDAY OF 3RD FEBRUARY 2019
You are all welcome for today’s service in the most precious name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
We thank God for enabling us to complete the month of January 2019. I wish all of you a fruitful month of February.
We need to help our children to learn and practice giving in church for the following reasons:
- “… the earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof; the world and they that dwell therein”
- “It is more blessed to give than to receive…” (Acts 20:35)
- It is a good thing to give thanks to God (Psalm 92:1-2). When we bring our thanks offering to God, we are showing our gratitude for what God has done for us, for example, Healing, Deliverance, Victory, Success in exams, Promotions, marriage etc.
- The church needs the support of every member. Giving in the church is not to be left for some sections of the church. The Primary purpose for our creation is to worship God. All members must give to God. Therefore children as well as adults must give to God.
- Through giving, the need of widows, orphans, the needy and those who serve in the church are met (2Corint 8:1-9)
- Children are a church of today and tomorrow. They need to grow in the discipline of supporting the church through giving.
- God loves a cheerful giver…(2Corinth 9:7)
How can the children be helped to learn and practice giving in the church?
- In the first place, the Bible says; “Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it…” (Proverbs 22:6) This means that the children must be taught and instructed about giving in church. The Parents need to demonstrate to the children by practically giving to God and ensuring that their children also participate in giving together with them. Let all forms of giving such as Tithing, Pledging, Thanksgiving and free will offering, be taught to the children.
- Secondly, through making the word of God to richly dwell in the hearts of our children; Let them know what God’s word is saying about giving. See (Joshua 1:8). God’s word is His whole counsel to us and must guide His people in all aspects of life including giving in the church.
In conclusion, Giving is part of Christian value. When children are raised in it, the whole nation will be strong. So let us make our children givers because children are a church of today and tomorrow.
Blessings in Christ Jesus.
Udongo A.F. (Rev. Canon)
QUESTIONS FOR HOMECELL AND PERSONAL REFLECTION
Read; 2Corinth 8:1-9, 9:7, Luke 24:1-4, Psalms 24:1, Psalm 50:6-14.
- Why do many people find it hard to give in the church?
- How can children learn giving in the church?
- Comment on the state of giving by children in your church.